Our School - History and Buildings
Elton Church of England Primary School is situated on a site adjacent to the Parish Church of All Saints in the beautiful village of Elton. It is one of the oldest Church of England Schools in the Diocese of Ely, being founded under the Wills of Jane and Frances Proby dated 1711 “to provide for the children of the parish of Elton to be taught to read, write, cast accounts and the Catechism of the Church of England”.
Under the School’s Trust Deed the foundation governors are the Parish Priest of Elton and representatives of the Parish Church and Diocese of Ely. The school has always been linked with the Parish Church and this link is still greatly valued and maintained. The school became a primary school after the re-organisation of secondary education in 1962.
Grounds and Buildings
Our current premises comprise of: five classrooms, a school hall, a kitchen, an outdoor classroom, a playground and school field. Our EYFS classroom is self-contained with its own cloakroom and toilets inside the EYFS unit. Children in EYFS have independent access to an outside area, which is in turn linked to the school playground. This means that opportunities for outdoor learning through play are unrestricted, and that all children are safe and within close proximity to an adult.
In early 2018, the conversion of the adjoining School House was completed. This has become the Year 6 classroom by day and is also used by Splats 'n' Splodges for the before and after school clubs.